Dad’s Turn 4/14/12

15 04 2012

Location: Trenton Channel
Date/Time: 04/14/12 7:30 pm – 10:15 pm
Water Temp: 48 degrees
Water Clarity: Clear
Weather: Overcast
Wind: SW 5-10 mph, 10–20 after 9:00 pm
Water Depth: 12 feet
Presentation: Handlining, 40/20/6, 30/15
Lures: #11 GFR, Beat Down Barbie, Bleeding Chartreuse, #9 Bleeding Chartreuse

Tonight was Dad’s turn. Normally with any type of a South wind I will stay home. My parents were down for my niece’s baptism on Sunday and my Dad wanted to go out so out we went. I was hoping the great fishing from the last few nights would carry over but with the SW winds I was a little pessimistic. We started off in my usual area, near the Catamaran in the middle of the river. It was slow at first but right on cue at 8:30 pm the fish started to hit. I hooked into one just as I went over about a 2 foot drop off. As I was flipping him into the boat my Dad hooked into one. I was so intent on him catching this fish that I forgot my lines were still up. I turned a little sharp and one of my leaders got tangled into the prop. 10 minutes later, one lost weight and about 67 feet of 30 pound Trilene XT and all was clear and back to fishing (glad I keep spares).

I must have had my Dad tuned in good this night because it wasn’t too much longer and he had another one on. As I pointed my light at the fish to help him see it I noticed that it was being followed up by another walleye. That was a good sign because it told me the fish were active tonight.

Over the course of the next hour we continued to pick away at trying to fill a 2 man limit. We were at 7 when my Dad hooked into what would turn out to be his 5th for the night. Once again I pointed the light at it but this time there was 2 sets of eyes looking back at us. My Dad was now bringing in his first double but it was on the same lure. Unfortunately the smaller one came off at the back of the boat but one in is better than nothing. About this time the winds started to pick up and I noticed some whitecaps forming. My Dad’s leaders also became tangled beyond recovery and he just wadded them all up into a ball and threw them into the bucket. He was happy with 8 fish in the cooler and so was I. We had a long day ahead of us tomorrow and after 4 nights of this I really needed some sleep.

The hot lure tonight and recipient of the double was a #11 GFR. My fish came on a #11 Bleeding Chartreuse and a #11 custom called Beat Down Barbie. I broke the lip on it during the night and that was my last one.

Final tally was 8 fish, 19 to 25 inches long for a total combined weight of 27 pounds and 8 ounces.

Still no sign of the Fish That Shall not be Named.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: