Silver Bass Test Take II

16 06 2012

Location: Trenton Channel
Date/Time: 6/15/12 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm
Water Temp: 69 Degrees
Water Clarity: Ridiculously Clear
Weather: Clear sky, warm
Wind: ESE light
Water Depth: 13 feet
Presentation: Handlining 40/20/6
Lures: #9 Hot Steel, Riley Special, Blue Ice

The other day a couple of friends of mine told me that the Silver Bass had pretty much left the river. Between the two of them they only caught 12 last Wednesday night… to my ears. Now I could get back to what life is all about, catching walleye. I was so optimistic about tonight that I started earlier than I normally do. That turned out to be a bit of a mistake. As luck would have it there were still just enough Silver Bass around to tick me off. As a matter of fact I caught 14 of the things before I ever caught my first walleye. Actually it was 14 Silver Bass, 6 Smallmouth Bass and 1 Muskie before I caught that first one. Just like last time he came after 9, 9:07 pm to be exact. Two more soon followed and I had my 4th right around 9:45. Unfortunately he was only 14 ½ inches long so he went back so that he could grow up some more.

Once it got dark I swapped out the spoons and switched over to my trusty Rapala’s, a #11 GFR and a #9 Hot Steel. This is standard procedure for me in the summer time on the river, spoons by day, body baits by night. Most of the time this works out pretty good, unless the weeds are bad and tonight they were. Rapala’s have a bad habit of catching every weed floating in the river. I should have expected this, the last couple of days have been east winds and that pushes the weeds to the US side of the river. I can usually find a few clear pockets to fish in but that is kind of hard to do in the dark. Persistence usually pays off though and after about 30 minutes I had my number 4. BY now it was 10:30 and I was debating how much longer I was going to stay out. I was going fishing on Lake Erie in the morning and I had to be in Gibraltar by 6:30 am. Sleep was starting to sound like a better option than continuously clearing weeds off my lines. Only problem was that I wanted that 5th fish. Why I don’t know but I wanted it. I told myself that by 11:00 pm fish or no fish I was heading in. Luckily for me she came at 10:58 pm. And she was also the biggest one of the night, 26 inches and 5 ½ pounds.

So the final tally for the night was 19 Silver Bass, 7 Smallmouth Bass (1 being 17 ½ inches long), 1 White Perch, my first Muskie of the year and 5 walleye for the freezer. The Silver Bass have definitely thinned out to where I can start fishing in the daytime again. For now it is time to get some sleep and get ready for my annual trip to Lake Erie. Hope the wind shifts or it is going to be very bumpy out there tomorrow.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: