Jiminy Cricket

25 08 2012

Some people love the sound of crickets chirping in the night air. They find it relaxing and soothing as their busy day comes to a close. As for me, well let’s just say I could do without it. I never realized how annoying the sound of one lone cricket could be until last night.

My mom and dad came down for the weekend to celebrate my daughters 17th birthday. Since the party was going to be Saturday afternoon my father and I decided to take advantage of a free night and go walleye fishing. I was a little pessimistic about how we would do with the FLW in town and the weed disaster from earlier this week. Today was another day so I was determined to make the best of it. We started off jigging alongside of the Edison coal pile. I try this every once and awhile just to see what is lurking in the area. Last time I did this I caught a 34 inch musky. I was hoping for a few walleye but anything would work. My dad likes to jig so he would get a chance, albeit a brief one, to give it a shot. All we managed was one Sheepshead and a goby in our first and only drift. The sun was starting to set so it was time to switch gears and start handlining. My dad hooked the first walleye of the night but like so many before this year it was too small, 14 7/8 inches to be exact. Back to the river he went so I could catch him in a month or two. About 15 minutes later I picked up a 16 inch fish on a Riley Special spoon. The next 45 minutes yielded nothing and now it was dark so we switched over to body baits. I put on a #11 Bleeding Chartreuse Rapala and my Dad his favorite Smithwick Rattlin’ Rouge. Shortly after 9:00 pm I landed an 18 inch walleye and my dad followed it up 2 minutes later with another one. Things were looking good so we made a couple of more passes through the area but we caught nothing else. This went on for the next hour with nothing to show for our efforts but a few rockbass. It was now close to 11:00 pm and we were getting ready to call it a night. I said that once we finished this pass by the stacks we would pull lines. It was right about then that my Dad caught what would be our final walleye for the night. This one managed to tangle his lines as well so after the fish went into the cooler he balled up his leaders and tossed them in the bucket. I pulled my lines as well and we were soon heading home. I had had enough of the chirping cricket anyways. He wasn’t too vocal while we were catching fish but those down times in between he was very noisy.

We ended up with 4 eaters and 1 throwback for the night. Definitely my slowest night of the year. I may have to try some new waters on my next trip. I might try farther upstream by McClouth Steel the next time out or further south down by Horse Island. We’ll see. As for now I have to go find a cricket in my boat.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: