Memorial Weekend Report

27 05 2013


Friday, 5:00 pm and I am running out the door.  I couldn’t get out of work fast enough this week.  Too much stress and too many other things going on outside of work.  I needed a break and that meant only one thing…….therapy through handlining.

Since the Silver Bass were still in I waited until after 9:00 pm to hit the river.  I was still a little pessimistic since it was going to be a clear night with a full moon.  Sometimes on nights like this the Silvers feed all night.  I was going to run chrome pencil plugs tonight and hope for the best.  On clear full moon nights chrome works quite well but Silvers really like Chrome.  As I was heading down to the “Cat” I saw a bunch of gulls and terns dive bombing the surface.  That meant the Silvers were pushing minnows up and they were in attack mode as well.  I kept away from that area.



By 9:15 I had lines down and at 9:20 I had walleye number 1 in the box.  So far so good.  A short time later I had another one in but this one was a bit small and was going back.  I had yet to catch a Silver so I decided to get brave and put on a #9 Clown Rapala on my kicker.  Big Mistake, the weight never made it to the bottom and I had one on.  After about 20 minutes of constantly hooking Silvers on that one lure it came off and I was back to just 2 leads with Pencil Plugs.  The action was a lot slower but I was only catching walleye and that was fine with me.  By 11:30 pm I had 5 in the box and I was headed home.  I talked to two other handliners that started the same time I did and they only had 2 but they caught a butt load of Silvers.  They were running Rapala’s.  Make note of that guys……


No Caption Necessary

No Caption Necessary

You think I would have slept in some after not going to bed until 2:00 am but not me.  I awoke with the sun and got ready to start my day.  I was headed up to Sanford Lake today to spend some time with some friends of mine.  Their mother has a home on the lake so I was going old school fishing, sitting on the dock, bobber and worm, catching bluegill.  Not my usual thing but I wasn’t going to complain.  Can’t think of much better way to spend a day but on a lake fishing with friends.  Unfortunately Midland had over 2 inches of rain in the last few days so the streams were running high and dumping a lot of dirty water into Sanford Lake.  Visibility was less than a foot, hardly ideal for catching panfish.  We discovered that the fish weren’t even on the beds yet.  Oh well. We made the best of it.  We did catch enough for a lunch and that was good enough.  Did find an interesting item at a garage sale, those who know me will get it.


Actually it was the evening of Day 3.  My parents were down so that meant my Dad and I would be going walleye fishing.  This time though I would have my younger cousin John along.  He wants to learn how to fish and his mother told him he needed to talk to his Uncle Frank and Cousin Mark.  I sent him a message earlier in the week and invited him along.  We picked him up around 7 on Sunday night and headed out.  Since the only fishing he has ever done was for bluegill on Coan Lake in Heritage Park I figured I would let him jig for a while and catch Silver Bass.  As expected we caught a bunch of Silvers but while I was watching him jig I saw him set the hook on a fish.  I noticed there was more of a bend in the rod this time and he wasn’t cranking it in like the smaller silvers.  I reeled my line in and got the net ready.  Sure enough, walleye.  After a quick pic it was in the cooler and we were back to catching Silvers.  Around 9:00 pm I told everyone to pull lines, it was time to catch walleye the right way.

We pulled up in front of the “Cat” and started to get set up.  I set John up with a 15 foot lead and a #9 Pink Lemonade Rapala that I just got back from Jim at Downriver Tackle.  I figured he would catch lots of Silver Bass with this but it would be good practice for him.  He might get lucky too and catch a walleye.  I set up with the same Wonderbread Nite Stalkers as the other night.  As expected John hooked Silver after Silver but he was having fun so he really didn’t care.  I on the other hand was catching walleye.  I had the first 3 in the box when I noticed that John was having a hard time bringing in his next bass.  I had a feeling and sure enough it was a walleye.  I talked him through getting it in the boat and even though he bounced it on the side he got it in the boat.  Now he was all smiles.    He just landed the biggest fish of his life and all he could think about was how good it was going to taste.  After that I landed a couple more so by now John said he had had enough of the Bass and wanted to catch only walleye.  We switched out the Rap for a Chrome Nite Stalker and shortly afterwards he was bringing in another walleye.  That gave us 9 so far.  John asked how much longer we would stay out and I told him after we got number 10.  No sooner did I say that and John was bringing in number 10.  It was now 11:00 pm and time to call it a night.  We still had fish to clean and John had plenty for him, the rest of his family and his Grandmother, my Aunt, to eat for dinner.

John's 1st Walleye

John’s 1st Walleye

His Haul

His Haul


Food, Family and Friends.  I’m beginning to understand what those Duck Dynasty guys are talking about.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: