10/26/12 Friday Night Walleye

27 10 2012

While I was cleaning up the boat and putting stuff away last Wednesday Richard and Mark were pulling into the dock.  We chatted for awhile and Richard told me about what a hard time he was having putting any fish in the boat.  He had done well all summer but ever since the cold weather set in he has been snake bit.  I told him I would take him out Friday night and he asked if we could go out in his boat.  That wasn’t a problem for me so we made plans to meet back here at the ramp that night at 6:30 pm.

Once I got home from work I grabbed my stuff (at least I thought I did) and headed for Elizabeth Park.  Right when I pulled in I realized I forgot my reel and shanks.  Good thing for me that Richard had an extra reel and shank.  I would have to use an A&S reel instead of my Schaller but it was going to be dark out and no one would notice.  Me forgetting my shanks turned out to be a good thing.  Since we were going to try and figure out why Richard wasn’t catching anything it was best that I use his set-up.  If I didn’t catch anything then we would know it was the shank.  If I did catch something then we would have to look elsewhere.  About 5 minutes in we soon realized we would have to look elsewhere.   About 30 minutes later I had 5 in the cooler with one of them being a 26 inch 6 pounder.  Richard changed lures to size 7 and 9 Rapala’s like I was catching my walleye on.  It didn’t seem to matter, still no fish.  I started asking questions.  Did he change leader material?  How about he length of the leads? Different weights? I knew the shank was alright but was he using the right clevice?  I even asked if he changed out the hooks on his lures and put on bigger ones?  He hadn’t changed anything but it was now 8:00 pm, I had caught 8, threw back 1 and lost 2.  Richard had yet to even have a hit. We fished for awhile longer and I spent more time watching what Richard was doing instead of actually fishing.  Eventually he did  catch a walleye around 8:30 pm.  About 20 minutes later he had another one on a jointed lure he painted himself.  It was now close to 9 and I had to get going so we pulled lines and headed towards the dock.  We ended up with 9 and threw back one that was a borderline 15 inch fish.  While we were putting stuff away and getting the boat secure we took pictures and talked more about how the evening progressed.  I gave Richard one of my 1 1/4 pound weights to see if that would make a difference over his 1 1/2 pound weights.  I also suggested using size 2 30 pound snaps.  My last suggestion was for him to drag the weight a little more and not keep it off the bottom so much.  Most of the fish I caught hit as I lowered my hand back.  None of the fish hit as I was pulling forward.  He said he would give it all a try, hopefully it works out.  I hate to see anyone not catch anything, especially with the kind of hours he puts into this.

Final tally for the night was 9 fish from 15 to 26 inches for a total weight of 28 pounds.  Water was clear and the weeds were not an issue.  Even the north wind laid down around 8 and it really wasn’t that cold out.  It actually turned out to be a near perfect night.  All my fish came on Bleeding Series Rapala’s….Olive, Copper Flash and Blue Shad.  Richard picked up one on a #7 Clown and a custom painted jointed  body bait.