Mother nature can be very fickle and the evening of Wednesday, 4/19/17 was proof of that.
The original forecast called for rain and wind during the afternoon and evening. As the day progressed it slowly started to change to something a little more pleasurable. Around mid-afternoon the forecast changed to all rain being over by 8 and the wind out of the NW at 4 mph. I received a text from fellow handlining enthusiast Dave saying he was debating going to tonight with a friend from church. I told him I would meet him at the ramp after 8. Around 8:15 I arrived at the ramp and Dave was there getting his boat ready. We chatted about life in general for a bit and then finished getting ready. Their was a fair amount of fog on the river but I didn’t think much of it at first. Once I launched and headed downstream I quickly realized it was a lot thicker than I thought. Visibility was about 50 yards in any direction. I couldn’t see either shoreline, just the lights from the Edison plant. Fortunately, where I wanted to fish was close by so I would be able to keep my bearings straight. By 8:30 pm I was lines down and trolling NE (with my navigation lights on). It was really eerie fishing under these conditions. A flock of geese flew by close enough that I could hear their wing beats but I couldn’t see them. I could hear Dave’s boat off in the distance coming my way but I couldn’t see him. About the time he passed me I hooked and landed fish number 1 for the night. I don’t think he ever saw me as he headed further downstream. About 10 minutes later number 2 was on but I lost this one flipping him in when the line broke on my kicker. Been a long time since I had that happen. I quick check of my leader showed that the last 6 inches were all scrapped and nicked up. I cut off the bad line and re-tied a new snap and lure. Shortly after that I heard another boat coming downstream. I could barely make out the silhouette of the boat but he was coming right at me. As he got closer I stood up to make sure he could see me which he eventually did. He slowed down until he was past me and then floored it. You would think that after coming up on one boat in the fog he would take it easy. Apparently not.
Shortly after he left I boated number 2. Once I got all straightened around is when things started to get weird, and scary. I looked upstream and off in the distance I could see what looked like a mini front moving in from the NE. It was a big white cloud or fog stretching from the NW to the SE and coming right down the river. Underneath it the sky was dark and I thought it might be rain. It made no sense though. All day long the rain and wind was coming out of the west and now here was what looked like an apparent front moving in from the NE. I kept watching it and about the time it cleared the Grosse Isle free bridge everything changed. It was like someone flipped a switch. The wind instantly changed from a few mph out of the west to 15-20 plus out of the NE. The fog vanished in an instant and the temperature dropped. While I was trying to figure out what was going on the wind spun my boat around like a whirling dervish. I quickly recovered and got my boat point back north again. How it could go from dead calm and perfect to Holy Crap was beyond me. I was a little concerned at first but once I got my act together I worked through it and managed to put 3 more in the cooler over the next 30 minutes. By 9:30 I was done and headed for the dock. I tracked down Dave first to see how he was doing. They were recovering from a snag and getting back to it. I told him I was leaving and asked him to text me to make sure he got off the water ok. It was to weird of a night to take any chances. Five minutes later I was safe and sound on dry land. I have never experienced a weather change like that before while fishing and I hope I don’t ever again.
So I ended up with 5 more in just under and hour. Most of the fish came on a #11 Blue/Silver Rapala. The water is still clear and I only caught two of those other things. The weather for the next few days looks sketchy so I’ll be staying home. I should have about another week before the full on, feed all night, drive me insane invasion starts. Hopefully I will get a few more trips in before then.
Providing Mother Nature isn’t fickle.